Sunday, May 18, 2008

this week for dinner

I have taken a new approach to cooking: I plan out a weekly menu (inspired by this blogger who I met once), buy groceries accordingly, and make meals. I love it. Yes, I'm slowly becoming my Mom. But...Now we eat foods we've never made before, I consult cookbooks and food blogs more, food rarely goes bad in the fridge, and it's never stressful because I have meals planned out. I can also prep various stages of the meal whenever I have a minute throughout the day since cooking in one, long stretch is practically impossible with baby. One of my latest was dinner crepes:


We put spinach, cheese, tomatoes, basil, and grilled onion in them. Avocado would have been good. Yummy. I made fish tacos for the first time yesterday, but have also been mixing in some old classics. One I took a picture of, but can't find, is cabbage salad. My Ukrainian friend whips this up now and then and I love it. It's just cabbage chopped fairly skinny (not chopped all up, just chopped long and thin off the head), grated or shredded carrot, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. It is really tasty, refreshingly cool on hot days, very light and thus an excellent between meal snack, and probably not very fattening.

Ignore what it says just below, this was posted by Jenn N, not Kris J.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

the menu/shopping once a week thing is a winner. we've done this since we got married.

now our problem is coming up with the weekly menu. i HATE that part. hate it. and some nights it's really hard for me to cook with the kids underfoot and aaron home later.

so our new plan is the monthly menu, so i don't have to think about it. we're working on it.

Its_Lily said...

When I was raising my kids I had no choice but to plan menus ahead of time. You're right - it was less stressful because I always knew what to make. As soon as the kids were old enough to wield a spoon I included them in the dinner making. We switched to the monthly menu eventually as well. I planned the majority of it, but they also helped to choose the meals. They can be very creative in their choices.