Sunday, March 9, 2008

funeral food


These nice ladies from my great grandmother's ward at church put on a dinner for the family after her funeral. This kind of really traditional Utah food isn't normally my thing, but after not eating all day, it tasted good...especially the funeral potatoes.

It really did have all the traditional, joked about Utah mormon foods: funeral potatoes full of cheese and sour cream, ham, iceberg lettuce salad with the little carrot strips and ranch dressing, jello fruit salad, dinner rolls...When we walked up to the table, my dad cracked a joke; "Where's the green jello with carrots?". My mom's cousin, Becky, was standing there and said, "Oh, you missed it. That was the first thing to go." And she was dead serious.

p.s. the carruths enjoyed the dinner, too. oh, i forgot to mention the chocolate chip cookies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember feeling the same way at aaron's cousin's funeral - we were STARVING by the time we got to eat, so everything tasted awesome.

and it was my first time with the funeral potatoes.

amanda said...

that food looks good to me, minus the iceberg lettuce salad. then again, all food looks good to me now.

people ask me what i crave now, and i say "food. just food."

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

yeah... i could go for some more funeral potatoes right about now.

amanda said...

do you have a recipe for funeral potatoes? that might be a good casserole that i can make this week for dinner. except...i may give it a different name...