Sunday, October 28, 2007

Shrimp Fried Rice

I just found out that fried rice is not only popular all over Asia and North America, but also in the west African countries of Ghana and Togo where it is a common street food. We used spinach instead of the usual eggs, and I highly recommend it. (Eggs make Kirk feel sick to his stomach.)

Kirk and I (Eva) made this dish while Kari was out of town. Kari is vegetarian, and Kirk is lactose intolerant, so most of our food ends up being vegan or close to it. But sometimes, Kirk and I will make something with meat or fish, and sometimes Kari and I will eat some fresh mozzarella or tzatziki sauce or something. My main dietary restriction is that I loathe strawberry flavored things ( esp. strawberry milk), but this doesn't seem to come up that often.
Oh, and I also hate wasting calories and appetite on bad food in general. White Castle, I'm sorry.

3 comments:

amanda said...

i wish i could eat as healthy as you do. i am getting better, but it is hard for us. we are on such opposite schedules still, and pete has a hard time sticking to things which in turn makes it hard for me. this lil' dragon is helping keep us in check though. yay for bebes.

truemeaningoffood said...

well, we try to be healthy... but donuts? pocky sticks? fried samosas? pizza? we've got a ways to go, too.

amanda said...

yeah, but your pizza does not have greasy pepperoni on it like mine usually does. i wish i had a donut, but i am limiting my sugar intake to natural sugars as much as possible. i sneak a fun size candy bar or a tiny bit of ice cream from time-to-time.

pete's dragon likes the ice cream, i think. that's my justification.