Thursday, October 25, 2007

SAMOSAS



Greetings. It is I, Kari. Although I happen to be one of the "Bad Luck Jorgensens" (shout-out to Kris and Karl), I was lucky enough to receive this recipe for samosas from Crystal, Food Genius, PhD, along with a chutney recipe of her own creation.

We split up the duties like this: Kirk was in charge of the dough, I was in charge of the insides, and Eva was in charge of making the chutney in addition to the side dish that we fondly call Vegetable Thing (pictured above), which is a good thing that has many leeks and squashes and tomatoes in it.

Then, all together we assembled and fried the samosas. Everything tasted excellent, although we did have some cosmetic issues (the dough got kind of dry and was then difficult to work with, resulting in flat rather than pyramidal-shaped dumplings).

We also thought we were being so funny by talking in really bad British accents (Oliver style) saying things like, "Can I have some more, sir?" Get it? "Can I have sa mo, sa?"

3 comments:

Nations said...

I have a samosa short cut! I learned this from the Pakistani friend I have here. Instead of making a dough for the samosas use a flour tortilla. You cut the tortilla in half, fold the 2 corners into the middle of the arc to create a cone(little geometry lesson for ya), and, using a paste made of flour and water, seal the two sides together. Once you have your cone made you put filling in the open side then seal it off with the paste. Then you fry it up! I had one of hers like this and it is honestly just as good--that's coming from someone who's 1) opinionated about food, 2) is striving to understand its true meaning, and 3) has eaten A LOT of Indian and Pakistani food. Love you! Jenn

ashleigh said...

delicious! remember oliver's friend dodger?! he was SO artful!!!

Anonymous said...

wait, no recipe? come on, share the love!