Friday, February 5, 2010

le petit chef

Sam is way more interested in helping in the kitchen lately. He used to only be interested if I were making cookie dough. Now he'll help me make just about anything as long as he can do some stirring, patting, mashing, and/or messing. Since the last time we made cookie dough, and had a long talk about raw eggs (our neighbor just had a really bad reaction to cookie dough) in dough and how we shouldn't eat it, he asks, "It has raw eggs in it?" every time we make any kind of dough.



This day we were making red lentil dahl which you hear him say faintly. The dahl is simple, just 1 c. red lentils (they're thinner than the green, if you've seen em'), a chopped onion, chopped tomato (the tomato does not need to be mashed, Sam just wanted to mash it, so why not?), 1.5 c. water, 1 can coconut milk, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, a few curry leaves, 2 chopped carrots, salt to taste. Mix it all together and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Add extra water if necessary. It should be fairly soupy. After it's done put mustard seed and cumin seed in oil on heat until the seeds "pop." Chop up another onion (or you can do 1/2 in the dahl and 1/2 later if you don't love onions) finely and cook it with the mustard, cumin, and oil on a low temp until the onion is golden brown. Mix it in the dahl, simmer a few more minutes, and voila! The first time I put in regular coconut milk, the second time lite coconut milk. You can imagine which tasted better (just don't look at the fat content, that was my mistake).



I've never made my own naan before but the second time I made dahl Sam and I made naan and it made the dahl even more delicious. A really good meal became a delicious meal. It's pretty easy to make. I got my recipe from here but found that I needed almost another whole cup of flour in the dough to make it kneadable. I also didn't have a pizza stone to cook them as it recommends since ours broke, but a cookie sheet worked fine.

4 comments:

kirsten said...

Aaron read somewhere that you might as well always buy regular coconut milk. because lite is just watered down. So buy regular, and if you ever want lite - dilute it yourself!

we love dal, too. we usually use yellow lentils.

Anonymous said...

diluting your own is smart, but i never use it often enough to use just 1/2 a can. and there's definitely no room in my freezer. in the future i'll probably just go full fat.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

This looks delicious. I actually cooked today, but I didn't take photos. They were savory quiche muffin type things made with tuna, onions, cheese, eggs, sour cream, fresh parsley, tomato paste...sounds weird, i know, but they were good. you have to like tuna, though.

Good Buy Consignment said...

I'm going try making this - it's very different from the American heartland type cooking my family is used to.